Saturday, January 17, 2009

I Did It - You Can Too!

A little while back, Boomama posted about Compassion going to India, and bloggers could sign up to be considered. So of course I did. Immediately.

Two days later, after it had been slipping and sliding in the back of my mind that I wanted to tell DH something, I mentioned to him, over our evening 'have a glass of wine and talk over the day where I say 2000 words and he says 500' that I'd signed up, to be considered.

He said, (using up quite a bit of his allotment of words), "well, would you really go if they chose you? Wouldn't you be afraid? Would you really eat the food over there, and wouldn't you worry about disease? Because I would and I couldn't."

Gee, I never thought about any of that, I don't have a brave bone in my body, I won't eat underdone chicken, and would starve before I'd eat a bug. I just thought that it sounded absolutely fabulous to go, and in the 1 in 1,000,000 chance they chose me I'd go in a heartbeat, not just to Calcutta but anywhere they'd ask me to go. Except maybe the Gaza Strip, that would make me a bit nervous.

I told him I knew there was such a slim chance, but just in case, I thought I should mention it ahead of time, rather than some evening, over another glass of wine I would slide into the conversation, "BTW I'm going to India, and I don't know what it will cost, and I don't know how long I'll be gone, and I don't know any details, except that YOU have to take care of the dogs and cat while I'm there. Even if the house is currently on the market." I just thought I should give him a little warning, because that might rate even higher up than "I'm Pregnant" or "I totaled the car" for items you cannot slide into conversation. Especially on the first glasss of wine.

So after I signed up in two seconds flat, I sat and looked at the little card I keep on my desk, the photo of our Compassion child, Gift Pettiline Ayoo, from Uganda (she happens to live in an HIV affected area, and I'd go see her in less than a heartbeat). I keep it there to remind me to write her through email every few weeks.

Our family has sponsored Compassion children before, and it was always a precious experience. I love that this time our child's name is Gift. Not only does it make it easier for me to pronounce, it reminds me it's a gift to give. So I decided to put Compassion's scrolling ad in my sidebar, showing all the children who still need sponsors, encouraging others to give also.

It took me several days, and numerous tries, to figure it out. But I did it!

I signed up for a Compassion child when Boomama was traveling with Compassion. I signed up to be considered for the trip to Calcutta, when she suggested it. And I finally, after a bit of trial and error, signed up my blog to post their ad.

And, BTW, if they happened in the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance, to choose me to go, you'll hear me squealing, then faint, then come to and squeal some more because how cool would that be?

If I can do it, all three of it, you can too. Maybe even try one. Give yourself a Gift.

5 comments:

Pam said...

Wow, Bev! I absolutely have chills all over. If I did it, I would so want to go with you. What a precious time it would be.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to take that step, but please know regardless of whether I do you will have my prayers the whole way . . . starting today.

How exciting! My stomach is full of butterflies just contemplating it.

Deidre said...

Great story, Bev.

I have to tell you I have considered it many times. I met Shaun Groves at a concert here in December and mentioned blogging, etc. He flippantly said, "Hey, we're heading to India. Wanna go?" I VERY flippantly said, "You haven't read my blog. I wouldn't get you much traffic. I'm the wrong person to ask."

Ha! Which is true, by the way, but I have to say reading about it pulled at my heart just a bit. I was so excited reading about BooMama's trip every day to Uganda.

I so hope they choose you!

Barb said...

Wouldn't that be the chance of a lifetime? So, when will you find out who they chose to go to India?

I can just imagine the look on Don's face. :-)

Gretchen said...

I am so in lurve with your heart, friend.

This is way cool. We give a lot to World Vision, which is like Compassion, I'm guessing, based south of Seattle. But we've never sponsored a child, per se. You've got me thinking.

Melissa said...

Wow! I'm going to Peru this summer with our church...but I'm pretty sure I can do South American food. I can't believe I'm doing it...but God is making the way.

We have a young couple from our church who just got home from 3 years in India. God is doing great things there.

Can't wait to hear more!