Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Easy Decision!

Which do you think looks more enticing?





Me too! (The slathered butter may have pushed me over the edge on this one!)

Don was taking one of these granola bars for breakfast every morning, and not that they're bad, but they're just not 'cozy' and breakfast should be cozy, if nothing else, don't you think?

These? Cozy, and yummy and good for him, and likely easier on the pocketbook too. Took me about 10 minutes to throw together, 15 minutes in the oven, and one minute to test :-)

Oat Bran Apple Muffins

Mix ingredients for Topping:
2 T brown sugar
1 T whole wheat flour
1 tsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Set aside.

In medium mixing bowl stir together:
3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole bran cereal (think raisin bran)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Mix together next three ingredients:
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Add to dry ingredients. Stir til moist, then add:
1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped. (I also added some craisins here for good measure.) Spoon batter into 12 prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. (I used large 6 large muffin cups because when I want a muffin, I want a muffin!). Sprinkle 1 tsp of the topping mixture over each cup. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 15 minutes or til lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for about 5 minutes. Serve warm. Slathering with butter is optional, but highly recommended.

Cover and store any leftovers in fridge for up to 3 days. Makes 12 or 6. These can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Before serving, wrap frozen muffins in foil and reheat in 300 degree oven for 15 minutes or til warm. (Recipe taken from BH&G Complete Book of Baking)

9 comments:

Gretchen said...

What a lucky guy. Looks delectable.

dianne said...

looks awesome! i am always on the lookout for good stuff to put in mike's lunches. i have a bag of bran in my freezer i've been wondering what i could do with . . . maybe I'll make a gazillion of these and set up a card table at the edge of my driveway and sell 'em! Okay, maybe just a double batch for the freezer ;)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm drooling over the chocked full of goodness. Congratulations on #5 this Ozarks farm chick had her #8 last month. You have a very blessed day. Heat up the oven, I'm off to the kitchen!

Barb said...

So don't feel bad about thinking my tomato was a red ball on top of Avery's tulle covered head. Because I thought, why does she slather butter on her fried chicken!

:-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Looks and sounds yummy! I'm saving this recipe to my recipe file to try later. And I've definitely got to buy one of those mondo muffin pans. Right now I have the regular size pans but I want one of the jumbo sized 6 muffin pans.

xoxoxo

Sarah said...

Sounds yummy! Maybe you could send us a couple :)

Barb said...

I couldn't wait to run over here and see your new design all installed. I love it! I may have to hire Jules to do something for me. I'm surprised not to see her logo anywhere on the design. She outdid herself on this one! Sweet as can be. xoxo

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Love the new design - so bright and pretty!
The muffins look great! I'll definitely have to give these a whirl!
p.s. your sister's first comment totally cracked me up! hee!

Unknown said...

Printing this one out RIGHT NOW!