Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Oh My - Julia Child's Chocolate Almond Cake!

Voila - I found it! The chocolate cake featured in the movie, Julie and Julia. It's actually a yellow cake with chocolate frosting then the sides are smothered in sliced almonds. The cake that looks so good, in the movie they don't wait for forks but just start tearing pieces off and shoving them in their mouths as soon as it comes out of the oven.

And our family is lucky enough to have TWO, count 'em, TWO excuses to bake this cake birthdays next week.

Absolutely I'm baking this cake.

You should too, because life is short, and summer is almost over, and there's always something to celebrate, and if by chance there's not, then bake it and don't tell anyone. Hide it behind a kitchen cupboard door or maybe you could hide it in the dryer? and pull it out as needed. Medicinal purposes - chocolate cake smothered with sliced almonds - just what the doctor ordered!

BTW, I heart this kitchen.

We'll be redoing the lakehouse kitchen in about a year, and maybe, just maybe this is something to think about - a kitchen with a heart, designed for cooking rather than show. If I make enough of these cakes between now and then Don just might be onboard with me. Who wouldn't want to eat in this kitchen?

Thank you, Julia, for being so passionate about something, and passing it on.I heart you too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I suspect a whole new generation will become her fans because of this movie. Her stock will go up, her cookbooks will be flying off the shelves. Already you cannot get one from the library unless you add your name to the long waiting list.

And chocolate almond cake sounds wonderful. Just wonderful. Let's celebrate the fact that the sun rose this morning ... somewhere.

Gretchen said...

I'm with Becky...ready to celebrate right now. My b'day is in 6 months and 18 days. Sounds good to me. Can't wait to see that movie. Def on a can't miss list.

Kitchen looks wonderful. Nice and light and airy, too. I've no doubt your lakehouse will have a great kitchen with heart--whether you remodel it or not.

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Yes!
To the chocolate almond cake!
And
Yes!
To the amazingly beautiful, yet highly functional kitchen!
Yes!

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a yellow cake... I am confused

Fahrenheit 350° said...

It's a chocolate on chocolate cake! Did you make it?