Friday, January 9, 2009

Chocolate Cake in a Cup

My dear friend Tris sent this by way of email. If you've read here anytime at all, you know I'm not a big chocolate fan. But DH is.
So I made this a few nights ago.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!



Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this is definitely enough to share).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Personal notes - I found it to be a teensy bit dry, and wonder if a tablespoon of chocolate pudding mix would help this, maybe even replacing it with one tablespoon of the flour or some applesauce added. Pretty yummy dessert to throw together in a pinch. It made me think of the old saying, "If I'd known you were coming, I'd have baked a cake." Now you can.

9 comments:

Gretchen said...

Definitely see some family resemblance with the recipe posts. :)

This looks wunnerful! Perfect for a snack after ski school. Which was cancelled today due to all natural disasters--but we're hoping for next week.

Thanks for your email. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Chris said...

I've been waiting all my life for something this simple and fattening. Thank you!

BTW, you have my dishes. Please send my Corelle back ASAP - or do I have yours? :)

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

I've seen this before but haven't tried it. I'm sure the boys would enjoy it, though. I even have some great Corelle mugs now.

I love the look of your blog, but am a little sad that there's no picture of you any more. Not even links to your family. It seems much less. . . well, YOU. So show your lovely face again. Please? :-)

Dianne said...

Yeah i get those chocolate cravings from time to time!! this looks heavenly. i would make one and give mike just a little bite (he's not a chocolate guy!)

Barb said...

How cute is that? My Pfaltzgraf dishes are ovenproof, so I could make this! I just might surprise the family next time we all do dinner together.

How funny. Neither you or I like chocolate, but you posted this recipe and I posted a photo of the chocolate chips I'm making cookies out of today. Shows you how much we love our families. xoxo

pcb said...

First, I can't believe you don't like chocolate. Second, I hate you for making me have to get up and go try this RIGHT NOW! :)

Leah said...

Looks yummy - and easy! I just may have to try this!

Jen said...

I had seen this recipe around but not tried it...Glad you did....now I will.

Karen said...

I am glad this is not your recipe. Tried it tonight, and it was pretty awful. I think the bite I had is still stuck in my chest. Can't get it to go down. This is a great idea and I also think with a little tweaking it could be much better. Thanks for the idea.