Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bachelor Party

I have to confess I'm not a huge fan of the show, but most of my girlfriends are. We have a kick-off get-together, then a finale party. By the time the finale comes around, everyone has chosen who they want to 'win', if you can call it that. We each bring a snack and a beverage, showing up one hour before the show. (I actually never got to see the last two episodes but went online to find out who was still in the running for this huge 'prize' of a man who will sit in a hot tub getting all touchy feeling with 25 different women...)

It happened to be Gerry's birthday, so we had cake and serenaded her upon her arrival.

Here are the rules:

#1 if you want to talk, come one hour early

Everyone wants to talk, all at once!

#2 once the show starts, no talking except during commercials.

During commercials, run in and get refills of fattening goodies. No health food allowed!

(It doesn't matter if the hostess has Tivo and can pause and play back. Rules are rules.)

#3 if you talk you will get pelted with marshmallows

#4 talk all you want during the commercials to get it out of your system

#5 weekly, send emails regarding your take on the show, so that by the time you get together for the finale, everyone knows who you are voting for. If you disagree with the majority, be ready to defend your position.

I got to play hostess with the mostest last night! 7 pm everyone started pouring in, within minutes the noise level in the house was really unbelievable with 9 or 10 women all gabbing within one room, then we grabbed our plates and glasses and hurried into my family room that comfortably holds 6, sitting on the floor or footstools or wherever.

Four hours later - he chose the girl, the right girl, then he unchose the right girl, so he could choose the wrong girl, and tonight apparently there's more drama so who knows.

Will Jason and Molly last? Who knows! Who cares! But time with girlfriends? Priceless. A house full of friends, all talking at once so you can't hear a word anyone is saying? As Lawrence Welk would say, "wonderful, wonderful!"

7 comments:

Karen said...

What a great idea! It sounds like a lot of fun. My heart aches a little for you since you will be leaving your friends. I moved out of state about 8 years ago. It is so hard to leave good friends..... :(
Your house it so charming. I don't think you need to do much to stage it. I am sure it will sell fairly quick. I will keep this in prayer for you.

Unknown said...

Just one more good reason to throw a PARTY!!!

Gretchen said...

Well, I agree that there's nothing like reality TV for a great party. But I'm done with the bachelor(ette) series. Just can't do it any more. I'm putting my eggs in the basket of much more highbrow entertainment--like Survivor.

Seriously. I loved it, but dangitall, I'm mad at Weenie and at ABC.

Jen said...

We love girlfriend time too...very important.

Barb said...

I can practically hear Lawrence Welk saying that! Remember the bubbles in the background? :-) I haven't thought of him in years and years.

What fun. The show is fun but only if you don't take it too seriously. There are some things about it that make me a little nervous, but all in all, it fun to watch.

I do think Molly is a better match than Melissa was, although I really liked both of them. It's a shame he didn't have his head together before the final rose ceremony - such a shame that he and Molly have to live with all the controversy now. You have to hate what he did to Melissa.

But...the most important thing is that JILLIAN (my very favorite) is the new bachelorette! Yay!

Barb said...

Gretchen just cracks me up. I love it that she acknowledges that the hot dog is really just a weinee. LOL

benilhalk said...

Good to know about awesome bachelorette party. It reminds me of my sister’s bachelorette party that was arranged at one of amazing Los Angeles wedding venues. Her friends arranged it and really did a great job with their elegant ideas. Really had an enjoyable day.