Friday, September 4, 2009

Oh Fall - I Love You So!

Fall, how I love you. Don't tell anyone else, but you're my favorite. Winter, you can't make me love you, I've tried. Not happening. You're just a bit too cold and standoffish for me.

As soon as the calendar turns to September I'm off and running with hunting up pumpkins and gourds and turning leaves and such. I'm quite aware you don't really show yourself til September 21, but you won't find me waiting that long, and I'll keep reminders of you here as late as I can too - living in denial til enough snow falls that it's ridiculous to have anything but snowmen and ice skates and such out. Even then I'll make a fool of myself, begging you to stay just a little bit longer.

To let you know how happy I am yucky August is behind us, I grabbed a few new fallish things. They'll make our place seem homey and let you know we're good and ready for you to stick around awhile!

Have to have a mum or two. I chose two. Of course the patio isn't really big enough for more than that anyway! I was impatient to throw out the bedraggled impatiens anyway, and the sweet potato vine was looking pretty pitiful. At $7 each, mums were a great deal, and maybe I can plant them in Leslie's yard before the ground freezes.

Sarah has had one of these for years, and I've been coveting it about that long, so I got all uppity and bought one myself. I absolutely love the way the morning sun looks running in and out of the metal sides, and hitting the little berries.

And all I need to make this perfect is one ginormous squirrel - he'd surely have fun trying to carry this off in his mouth!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Texas is a very big place. It is actually big enough for places with NO fall whatsoever, and places with a little bit of fall to satisfy a certain someone. Are you enjoying your LAST fall? I hate to think that, but I have not had a fall in 18 years and I have very sad depressions every single Sept.

Linda said...

Here I sit wishing this HOT weather would go away already and I could be doing what you've done so beautifully Bev.
I don't need to wait for the first cold front (heaven only knows when they will make an appearance)to bring a bit of fall into our home. In fact, I saw Mums at HEB this morning. I need to go back and bring some home.
Love visiting Bev.

Kelly said...

Oh, I'm with you!! I'm headed out this weekend to get hay bales and mums for the front porch, I just can't wait until October! The weather is like a dream right now and it's bringing on some serious nesting.

Enjoy your last northern fall... if your weather is anything like ours this week it's sure to be one of the best yet!

Deidre said...

I LOVE Fall, too! I am so much happier in the fall. I love that pumpkin and have looked for one for several years. Why am I having such a hard time finding one?

My impatiens are getting the boot next week ... making room for mums.

Have a great weekend, Bev!

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Anticipating Autumn right along with you!
I just love your mums - so very pretty! The color is perfect!

Karen said...

Love the pumpkin -- where did you get it?

Girl Raised in the South said...

I've had a few emails on the side, unfortunately some were no reply, regarding where I found the pumpkin. Kirklands for $9.99, and I think you can also find them at World Market if they have that in your area. I didn't look at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Joanns but would bet you'd stand a good chance there too. It's about a foot tall overall, and maybe 10" across. Hope that helps you girls who were wondering locate it. Happy Fall everybody!

Gretchen said...

I'm sad for Becky. But I also suspect, when I'm dragging in Feb, that she's got pretty flowers growing...showing their sunny faces.

Fall has arrived here, too.

Gonna get me a wire pumpkin right away. It's too adorable.

Anonymous said...

Bev,
I know you said a one time you were getting a new camera...
What kind did you get?
I love your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was to be the word "AT"

Fonda said...

My bluebonnet and Indian paintbrush wreaths fell to the ground with a big storm this weekend. I guess it is time to pull out the mums and pumpkins, even if fall weather is at least a month away. Thanks for the inspiration.

down pillow said...

That acorn is absolutely gorgeous! I love fall!