Thursday, September 3, 2009

Free Rosetta Stone!

I've been thinking I need to learn the basics of Spanish, since we're moving south. I read somewhere that Spanish is the third most spoken language on the planet, so obviously it's a good language to learn, even if we were staying right here.

Note to Mr. Razor, 7th grade Spanish Teacher, I was an idiot. I should have paid attention instead of flirting with the boys. It's entirely my own fault that my complete grasp of the spanish language consists of counting to 29.

So - moving on, I've heard that Rosetta Stone is a good way to go for self-teaching a language. My daughter mentioned to me that our public library has it installed on their computers, so I stopped by there today to check it out. Sure enough, they have it with English, Spanish, French, Italian and Chinese. For free. All I had to do was show my library card, and sit still for an hour. I can repeat any lesson as many times as I want, they offer the teaching with voice, writing, speaking and combinations of all three, including testing at the end of each lesson. I was able to sit there with headphones on and click away.

After my first one hour lesson I can now say this:

mi gato es hermoso

My cat is beautiful.

Indeed she is, not that she's my cat right now (did I tell you all I'm taking her to Texas with me after all?!?! Jer and Les are going to get Landon a puppy, and I'm going to take Miah to Texas with me when we move. Hello pet hair, I've missed you terribly!), and so is a free version of Rosetta Stone (beautiful, in case you got lost in that sentence.) Check out your library - they may well have it too, and if not, they might be willing to get it for you to use. As ethnically diverse as our neighborhoods are becoming, it's a good thing to make available. Checking online, a new Level One Spanish CD is priced at over $200. Free works much better!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

She's a she ... so maybe she is hermosa? I think. Maybe not. I think. I don't know. Four years in high school and all I an say is "Donde es el bano?" Just in case I ever get a passport and go somewhere.

Sarah said...

I think Becky's right, although my one semester of Spanish in 5th grade might not be enough for me to have an opinion.

Caiden would like you to know we just ordered 25 more chicks, so by the time you move here, we'll be ready for your business! He might even give you a discount. :)

Dawn said...

Libraries are great resources even for things that you don't think of like Rosetta Stone or museum passes.

Barb said...

I can't stand it. I have to ask. If Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world, assuming English is number one, what on earth is number two? Seriously, it will drive me nuts if you don't know.